The fab 5 that keeps me going...

The fab 5 that keeps me going...
One generation plants the trees; another gets the shade. ~ Chinese Proverb

Monday, August 24, 2009

From 12 to 40 ~ in Just One Week!!!

Every Sunday morning, I get up, work for a few hours and then head to Catalina Vista wondering what will be in store. This past Sunday I think you may have gotten a glimpse of me smiling ear to ear as I collected food donations and chatted up some neighbors. It renews my sense of community, belonging, cohesiveness in a neighborhood and all the while doing something good.

As the title says, we went from 12 lbs. the first week to 40 lbs this week! The weigh-in is an exciting part of the calculations too because its a measure. This week I snagged two of my kids from school and brought them to the Community Food Bank for the weigh-in. Its a bit different than weighing in at a 'weight loss' place. Here, we want to be big and fat in our numbers! :)
These are my two children from Ethiopia. I traveled over two years ago to pick them up in a place that will always be so dear to my heart. But the devastation there is beyond shocking. Its criminal. Someday I hope to take them back so they can see where they came from; what they survived.
A flash of a naked man, laying in the sidewalk still haunts me. He didn't have any clothes, and I didn't have any words. I wanted so badly to yell to the driver, "STOP! STOP NOW! WE MUST GIVE HIM FOOD AND CLOTHING!" But the words never came out. I opened my mouth and only a floodgate of tears came pouring out ~ in a country where it isn't culturally 'okay' to cry. I knew there was only one thing to do; hold my breath. I did, and I quietly stopped. But I knew that I would never be the same again. His image still continues to haunt me. I didn't do anything. I don't want to feel that again. I have to do SOMETHING.
I don't tell people about the man, mostly because I am ashamed. I missed the opportunity to do something. Maybe it was the way it was supposed to be, because I still carry the weight of him with me as a reminder to DO. I won't let the world pass me by. I'm a mover... and I know that only the unimaginable is impossible. If you can dream it, you can do it.
Let's do it together.
See you Next Sunday my awesome fabulous wonderful neighbors!!!
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment